Monday 28 March 2011

The Blag Club, Notting Hill

Honeygene as you may have read, played a gig at The Blag Club, Notting Hill last Thursday night. This was a new venue, but surprisingly cosy with a relaxing atmosphere.


It was a small venue, a small stage, and a total of five acts played starting around 8 ish, ending about half 11. We were on second to last.

The Croquet field opened the night, and I have to say, with all my heart, it was possibly the worst act I have ever witnessed at a gig. It hurts me to bitch about another act this way, but the whole set was out of tune. It was, I am afraid to say, depressing.

Next up were Cuz, a duo, both cousins. Normally joined by a team of female backing singers, we only got to see this band stripped to its basics,due to licencing on stage. (max two people). Overall, I enjoyed their set, there were moments when I thought he had nailed the vocals, and he really did try har, maybe a little too hard. They covered artists such as Jason Mraz, Gnarls Barkley a.k.a Cee Lo Green and many other feel good songs that people could sing along with. I am sure with the backing vocalists the band would have a little more depth and vocal strength. They even admitted that on stage, and seemed like quite cool london lads having a good time.

The Voodoo Rays played next. They were not my scene, but the male and female duo seemed to work. I realize I am ranting on a tad, so will be brief when I mention that Honeygene played next. We really enjoyed the set, as the quietness of the room (literally all of about five people) gave us a chance to sing some new songs such as 'Tears of Colour' which I wrote a few months ago, and a cover by The Monkees 'Daydream Believer', a classic. The sound was good, very clear and atmopheric. It was great to sing again, and after about ten songs,we both felt liberated.

Last, but by no means least Sean Taylor took to the stage. He was brilliant, with his intricate and elaborate blues guitar riffs, his fingers were darting in every direction. I was impressed. And, most importantly, he seemed like a real genuine, nice guy. Definitely an act to watch out for. Hopefully we will be playing with him again. Talented. Check out his facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/seantaylorsongs

So, all in all, a brilliant night. Not much of a turn out, audience wise, but this didn't stop us from having a blast and singing our hearts out for the first time in months.

No comments:

Post a Comment