Tuesday 15 March 2011

Gyptian And The Spring Break Experience 2009

As many of you know, if you have been following my blog, or know me personally, I have spent a considerable amount of time in Jamaica. This allowed me to learn about so many talented artists, from old school reggae kings to new reggae and dancehall singers. I saw many live, my favourite being the ‘Spring Break 2009’ festival in Negril.

Gyptian performing in 2009

This was an amazing experience, with so many artists, only on for a short time but it really gave me an insight into the music world in Jamaica. The beach was packed, there was great food (which I couldn’t afford so only tasted the fish soup) and there was a great vibe. 

I thought it was about time I created a blog entry devoted to one of my favoutie Jamaican artists, Gyptian, who played at the festival back in 2009. As soon as his voice came on stage, it was clear he would give a great performance, dressed in a red checkered shirt and singing ‘Beautiful Lady’. A classic.

Most of you may know Gyptian, as he has recently had lots of plays on radio 1, with his latest hit ‘Hold Yuh’. I absolutely love, love, love this song. At 27, well done him, he deserves the success.  I have found a video of him singing this classic, live, on radio one extra!



His new album ‘Hold Yuh’ was released in October 2010, and has some really good songs, which are mainly upbeat, cheery and have great, catchy melodies. He tends to veer away from the usual, lets say rather graphic images dancehall artist use, which makes him perfect for commercial success. (The English tend to be rather reserved, afterall)  ‘Nah Let Go’ is probably my second best song on the album, which he released as his most recent single. Honeygene are influenced by his vocals, and laid back reggae feel. I am a big fan of Gyptian. If you have not heard him, like reggae/dancehall, please check him out. Hope this blog entry gives you a little insight.


No comments:

Post a Comment