Sunday 13 March 2011

Doo Wops & Hooligans



Bruno Mars released his debut album ‘Doo Wops and Hoologans’ in October 2010 and it has had some great reviews. From a producer to a new artist, Bruno has done very well for himself.

I did however, stumble upon this review from The Guardian, by Alexis Petridis, who gave Bruno a pitiful and unwarranted 2/5 stars for his debut album ‘Doo Wops and Hooligans’  which I thought was most unfair.

Looking at other album reviews online i.e play.com customers have given him a more rightful 5/5 calling Bruno a “brilliant songwriter” and “a good album full of catchy songs” which I have to completely agree with. The album consists of 10, catchy tunes with upbeat songs such as ‘Marry you’ which I can see as another big single, and more contrasting moodier songs such as ‘Talking to the moon’ which is one of my personnel favourites. His lyrics are deep, whilst his melodies are beautiful and some send chills down my spine. Here is a youtube video created by an obvious fan, Have a listen, see what you think..



Another favourite on the album is ‘Liquor store blues’ featuring Damian Marley. Of course, due to the reggae style and Jamaican sections from Mr Junior Marley himself, I found these two artists the perfect combination.  It also shows Bruno’s diverse use of genres from pop, reggae, to mo-town, R & B, rock, soul, blues and hip hop. There is a definite mix of chilled laid back songs on the album, such as  ‘Our first time’ and more lively Jason Mraz type style tunes such as “The Lazy song” which all in all, makes a satisfying and well made album come alive. His voice is stunning, as I continue to emphasize, with the amazing number one singles of ‘Grenade’ and ‘Just the way you are’ beginning the album. Also finishing the album is Bruno’s collaboration with Cee-Lo Green and B.o.B which I think is another brilliant, extremely catchy track. Great voices, great melodies and some great beats. Please check this great song out. Now. 



I think Bruno Mars is a great new artist; he is upcoming star and songwriter. I would like to give this album, a well deserved 5 out of 5. The only fault I can find is that I want more!

Here is the incredible album track list:

1. Grenade
2. Just The Way You Are
3. Our First Time
4. Runaway Baby
5. The Lazy Song
6. Marry you
7. Talking to the Moon
8. Liquor Store Blues f. Damian Marley
9. Count On Me
10. The Other Side f. Cee-Lo Green & B.o.B



No comments:

Post a Comment