Sunday 13 February 2011

The Beginning of Honeygene

I would firstly like to say I have no idea what to write my blog about. I have so many things I have experienced, some good, some very bad. I think the  best place to start here, would be introducing you to my first love. Singing.

I have been singing with my dad all my life. We wrote our first song 'Perfect Harmony' in 2006 as my nana was dying of cancer. We sang this to her, and then performed it at her funeral. That was the beginning of Honeygene. The name was created using my dads performing name Phil Honey Jones.



 If you are reading this, and wondering what we sound like, take a look at our myspace, check out some of our tunes
www.myspace.com/honeygene


From there, we kept writing, bringing back to life old tunes such as Hot lover and Only 17. We created new harmonies, and lots of other songs such as Red Roses, Purple Paradise, Blue Heaven and so many more. Our music started with a heavy influence from Elliott Smith. At the time, that is all we were listening too. Our songs were a mix of Rock n roll, blues, country and some light pop. We recorded our first album, 'A beautiful place to get lost' in 2007. This was a lyric taken from one of Elliott Smiths songs. The album was recorded quickly, and we produced a clear, crisp sound with pretty melodies and interweaving harmonies. It was all so easy and exciting.









We were giging alot back then around North London, small acoustic sets. They were some of our best times together. Father and daughter against the world doing what we loved best.

I was about to start uni back then. About to leave home for the first time. The lyrics in '2008' the final track on the album was about this. With the lyrics "two years have been and gone, thats why i'm writing this song."   It was meant for the future. How I would survive in London, on my own, new friends, new people, new atmosphere. Everyone has to do it. But before this I would go somewhere which would change my life, my heart and my music tastes completely. I went to Jamaica.

No comments:

Post a Comment