Sunday 20 February 2011

Album Launch 2007


Since going to Jamaica, most of our songs have a strong reggae influence. When we were over there ‘paperman’, a local guy said to us,
"use your songs and just put a jamaica riddim to dem."

That is sort of what we did. We kept our distinctive style, our close harmonies, our pretty melodies and strands of darkness, but the drums became more offbeat, creating a laid back feel which people could chill too. It also opened my world to reggae and dancehall, alone with soul voices. I went to university in September 2007 and I met some amazing long life friends.

I have to begin by saying that was the best year of my life. I have never had many laughs in my life, and never had so much fun. I studied music, continued my classical singing lessons, and had some very interesting moments. Most nights I would sit with Kim (my flat mate) watching my screensaver of photos from Jamaica, and we would smoke and have the giggles in our halls of residence, in our small cosy rooms filled with fairy lights, candles, and incense, covering the smoke alarm with a grubby sock.

Our first official album as Honeygene was in November 2007 at The Borderline, Charing Cross. It was a great night, packed, buzzing, and looking good with a new blonde hair and smokey makeup. 



 We had guests. Brian Allen, Dads brother on bongoes

 Frog on the song 'Sweet serene' doing his Bob de Bop





Overall, I great, great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment